Follow @tinawang0827

Category

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Stinky Tofu-$7 “Even Andrew Zimmern couldn’t try it for more than two bites!”






Taiwan is well-known for its street foods. We have all kinds of foods that are delicious and most importantly, cheap! Stinky tofu is a must-try. Stinky tofu stinks. That’s how it got its name. To be honest, it may smell like socks which haven’t been washed for two months. But I’m totally fine with it since I grew up in Taiwan and I’m used to it. I think stinky tofu is the best for late night dessert when I’m trying to stay up late and study
since the strong order can keep me awake.


Stinky tofu is made of soy beans. It can be eaten cold, steamed, stewed, or most commonly, fried and is often accompanied by chili sauce (From: Wikipedia). Personally, I love stinky tofu when it serves in hot pot! Grew up in Taipei, but studied in Kaohsiung for my bachelor degree, I had my favorite stinky tofu spot in Kaohsiung.



福記臭豆腐 (Located in Kaohsiung)They sell all kinds of cuisine that is made of stinky tofu. 
 


Luckily, New York is a place that has everything! I found this restaurant which sells authentic Taiwanese food in Flushing. Each dish costs you under $10!

Restaurant: Red Chopsticks 
Location: 136-17 41 Ave, Flushing, NY 11355
Tel: (718) 353-7683
Price: $5-$20


Red Chopsticks is held by Taiwanese so the cuisine there is authentic. Their stinky tofu is juicy and it has the right texture and order. I always feel like the best way to under a different culture is to try their foods. You'll like it after a few try!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

留學生省錢思鄉美食in 法拉盛!

在紐約待久了偶爾心血來潮會非常想吃臭豆腐~~~(完全個人經驗)。我想說紐約真的是一個什麼東西都有的地方,在俗稱小中國城的法拉盛,你可以找到各式各樣你想的到的食物,五更腸旺、薑絲炒大腸、臭豆腐應有盡有!最好找到台式餐館味道也比較符合台灣人口味。小叮嚀:找三五好友一起去點合菜,分下來預算絕對可以控制在$10上下!




No comments:

Post a Comment